Monday, November 23, 2009

Will anyone be thanking you this year?

It's just a few days out from my personal favorite holiday of the year...Thanksgiving. Beyond the cooking, the eating, the re-eating of left overs, and all the holiday cheer that makes this day so much fun, Thanksgiving to me is a humbling annual reminder of how fortunate an individual I am and how privileged an existence I lead.

Too often we become blinded by the quest of something greater than we already possess, and in the process lose sight of what extraordinary things we have in the present. Stress over getting to that "next phase" in our lives where we will have a better job, a better car, a better house, or more money, takes precedent over any chance we have at finding peace with our current place in life and simply soaking in the moments we'll never get back.

The truly important things in life are almost always taken for granted. The relationships we have with family and friends are just as fragile as our bank accounts and our careers, but are almost never given as much attention and care. It's hard to fathom, but there are many places and instances in the world, some even right here in our own country, where the simple luxury of having family and friends around is not afforded.

Because I do not wait each day for a family member to return from a war zone with his or her life, because I do not wake up each morning knowing that a loved one is dying of a terminal illness but cannot afford treatment, because I do not start each day wondering how and if I am going to eat today, because I don't worry on my way to class if a car bomb is going to kill me or someone I care about, because I do not have to trek through miles of terrain without shoes to get water for myself, because I not only have the freedom to be an opinionated woman but also have the luxury of sharing my political and religious beliefs with the world on this blog without repercussions; I am thankful.

With such a limited world view, we as Americans, especially living in privileged neighborhoods, aren't reminded daily of the atrocities occurring all over the world, and even those occurring in our backyards. We could never begin to understand the plight that so many live through each day whether it be homelessness, hunger, abuse, illness, discrimination, or war. This is the reality for billions of people, and yet we will go on living our lives worried about which designer handbag or car we will buy with our next pay check.

Let me be clear that I am in no way exempting myself from any of these observations or accusations. In fact, I am often ashamed of how little I contribute to help the many injustices of the world. I am especially humbled and also motivated by those who not only have identified a way to make a difference, but have made it their life's work to do so.

The CNN annual Heroes award show is a wonderful look at how an individual's compassion and dedication can make such a positive difference on the world. It's also a grounding reminder of how little so many of us do on a daily and even yearly basis to positively affect another's life besides our own. The taping of CNN's award show airs on Thanksgiving night, it's a great show...I actually volunteered at the media table last year passing out will-call tickets and got to stay and see the live show. If you can't watch the show, or even DVR it, check out some of the Heroes' stories online...I promise you will be inspired. (side note: watching the clips online means you don't get to see the wonderful Anderson Cooper host the award show.)

And in addition to considering what you yourself have to be thankful for as you indulge in your Thanksgiving feast, also ask yourself: who will be thankful for you?

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this reminder Jacquie. What you said really put things into perspective. Let's flip the question, yes: Who will be thankful for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it was definitely refreshing to hear about really giving thanks. We get so wrapped up with school, or work, or the holidays that we forget to realize the importance of everyday events.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I realize this is very behind, but I just got to reading this post. Jacquie, thanks for putting in perspective the relevance and importance of those close to us on what is, also, my favorite holiday!

    ReplyDelete